I saw a story on Facebook this week that grabbed my interest. It seems that after a recent race, a local runner taunted another local runner after beating her by saying, "You'd better get used to it." The second runner had a good comeback - it was her third race of the day.
One of the best qualities about local road racing is the amount of encouragement and support runners give each other. All right, maybe there's an exception that proves the rule. Let's hope that she learns there's always someone better out there, and that it's easier - and better - to stay humble and nice.
That's the sermon for the day. Now let's move on to the weekend calendar, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* Soaker 7.7 KM, 1111 Fuhrmann Blvd. in Buffalo, 7 p.m. tonight, 250-6494. If nothing else, you are sure to set a personal best at the distance. Local fire departments will be there to make sure runners are, um, hydrated.
* TRZ Races, various, Firemen's Grounds on Hazzard St. in Frewsburg, 9 a.m. Saturday, 397-2519.
* Erie County Fair 5K, Fairgrounds in Hamburg, 9 a.m. on Saturday, 649-3900. Wagering will not be allowed, even though this finishes on the Buffalo Raceway track.
* Christine Padasak Memorial - Autism Awareness 5K, 393 North St. in Springville, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, 949-4072.
* Greg Stang Memorial 5K, Bassett Park in Williamsville, 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, 597-9090.
-- Budd Bailey