You might remember the story of Joe McConaughy, who was trying to break the record for running the entire Pacific Coast Trail - Mexico to Canada. That's 2,663 miles if you are counting, and Joe probably was.
Well, he did it. McConaughy covered the distance in 53 days, 6 hours and 37 minutes, breaking the mark by about six days. He had the help of a couple of Western New Yorkers, Jack Murphy and Jordan Hamm.
And what did you do this summer? There's still time to get a little running in, starting tonight. Here's the schedule, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* Checkers' Athletic Club's Mueller Mile, 11 Main St. in Tonawanda, 7 p.m. tonight, 867-1713. This is a nice event, even for slow-pokes like me who can't keep up with most of the field. The conditions should be perfect for a fast time tonight.
* Donald Carroll Toys for Kids Memorial Run, 5K, Bank St. in Batavia, 9 a.m. Saturday.
* iWacko/Sarah Johnson Memorial 5K Run, Clark's Park in Wilson, 9 a.m. Saturday, 440-6516.
* Reach the Beach 5K, Sunset Bay Beach Club in Irving, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, 907-0219.
* St. John the Baptist Bash & Dash 5K, 1085 Englewood Ave. in Tonawanda, 7 p.m. Saturday, 435-5115.
* Run for Row 5K, Como Park in Lancaster, 9 a.m. Sunday, 891-3941.
This is also the weekend for the second annual Color Run in Buffalo. It drew a huge crowd last year, even though it is not a a race and thus isn't listed here. Can't say I met anyone who had a bad time last year at it. Wonder if it cared off some Erie County race directors in terms of turnout.
-- Budd Bailey